Monday, September 24, 2012

Still Being Brave.....Part 2

I told you there were lessons in winning and in losing. And once again, I was the one learning the lessons.
And tonight I told my son that he worked hard and he deserved to win but that a lot of kids probably deserved to win. But sometimes there can only be one winner. However,  if we take the lessons that we learned and apply them to our lives, we can still be winners!

Try Anyways:
Yesterday, my oldest son told me. "Mom, me and this other kid do not have a chance." From the beginning of this whole school election process, Nathan did not expect to win. He knew the other kids. He knew they had a lot of friends and had been on the student council the previous year. He knew his chances were slim. But he never let that deter him from trying his best. He still worked hard on his poster and on his speech.

The odds are often against us in life. Give it your best effort and TRY ANYWAYS!

Don't Let Others Get You Down:
Over the weekend, he also told me that there were some kids telling him that they weren't going to vote for him because they would be voting for another boy. When asked what did he say when people told him that , he said, " I just tell them I don't care. I don't care if I win and then I walk away." ......And then I walk away. What wisdom! Imagine if we were all so smart as to just walk away when people say hurtful things to us.

People will be unkind. TRY ANYWAYS.

Face Your Fears:
Do something you're afraid of, it is a great way to build self confidence.

Be afraid and TRY ANYWAYS.

Be Hopeful:
Although Nathan was pretty sure he wouldn't win his election, he had hope. He would say things like, " I don't really care if I win but it would be nice if I did." He had hope. He prayed on it and he was hopeful but he was okay with either outcome. In life, sometimes situations seem hopeless but hope can give us peace and a positive attitude.

Be hopeful and TRY ANYWAYS.

Know Your Fans:
In life, if we choose to be brave then we should expect to win some and  will lose some. The important thing is knowing your true fans. The people who are by your side no matter what, those are your true fans. During his election, Nathan had friends who told him they would be voting for him. He ran against one of his good friends and instead of them being competetive about it, they just embraced the experience. And of course he knows we, his family, are his true fans. We are celebrating for him today. No he didn't win but we are so proud of him because he is our winner. We are celebrating his bravery, his hard work, his courage, and his great attitude towards it all. We are his fans, when he loses and when he wins. Isn't that what it is to be a parent?  And in life isn't that what it is to be a good friend.


I asked Nathan if he would consider running for an office again next year. This is what he had to say, " Yep. And next year, I bet you I can get my friend (don't want to say his name) to run with me. I bet I can talk him into it." So not only does he plan on continuing to be brave, he plans on dragging others along with him......including his mom.

Here is a short video of Nathan giving his speech












No comments:

Post a Comment